Important Science & Tech Weekly : 24th to 29th January 2021
Science and Tech Field has made some progress in the last week. Go through the complete article and topics discussed below to know what has taken place in this field from the exam point of view.
Smart Anti-Airfield Weapon (SAAW):-
Defense Research and Development Organization, DRDO has conducted recently a successful trial of Smart Anti Airfield Weapon. Know about it below.
- The development of SAAW began around 2012-13, and after crucial inputs from the Indian Air Force, the first test was carried out in 2016.
- The weapon has been designed to strike ground targets, especially adversary airfield infrastructure or similar strategically important installations.
- It is a 125-kilogram class smart weapon, capable of engaging ground enemies' airfield assets such as radars, bunkers, taxi tracks, and runaways, up to a range of 100 kilometers. The high precision-guided bomb is lightweight compared to a weapon system of the same class.
- The telemetry and tracking systems installed at the Interim Test Range (ITR), Balasore captured all the mission events
- Gujarat’s Kevadiya Station gets Green Building Certificate:-
- Recently Gujarat's Kevadiya Railway Station has been given the certificate of a Green Building. Details on the green building are listed below.
What is a Green Building?
- Any building which in its design, construction or operation can reduce or eliminate negative impacts, while creating positive impacts, to the climate and natural environment, is called Green Building.
- Such buildings help in the preservation of natural resources and improve people's quality of life. Any building can be a green building, whether it’s a home, an office, a school, a hospital, a community center, or any other type of structure.
Features of the green building include:-
- Efficient and proper use of energy resources like water, solar energy, etc.
- Measures for Pollution and waste reduction, enabling re-use and recycling of things Proper indoor environmental air quality maintenance Usage of non-toxic materials, which can be ethical and sustainable Consideration of environment, the climate of the place in the designing, construction, and operation of the building
- Considering the quality of life of occupants in design, construction, and operation Adaptation to a changing environment.
Rakshita Bike Ambulance:-
About Rakshita Bike Ambulance
- It is a 350 cc Royal Enfield classic bike that is to be used for ambulance purposes.
- Institute of Nuclear Medicine and Allied Sciences has been involved in the manufacturing of the ambulances.
- It is fitted with a customized reclining Casualty Evacuation Seat. This seat can be fitted in and taken out as per the requirement of the patient.
- There is also a head immobilizer and the safety harness jacket in the bike
- It also consists of a physiological parameter measuring equipment with wireless monitoring capability and an auto warning system for the driver.
- The bike has also been equipped with an air splint, medical and oxygen kit for on-spot medical care.
- The bike would help the paramilitary forces as well as the civilians from remote locations to be taken for medical help sooner.
Akash NG Missile:-
About the missile:
Akash is a medium-range mobile surface to surface air missile defense system developed by the Defence Research and Development Organization, DRDO, and produced by Bharat Dynamics Limited for Missile Systems.
Bharat Electronics, Tata Power Strategic Engineering Division, and Larsen and Toubro for other radars, control centers, launcher systems in India.
It can neutralize aerial targets like fighter jets, cruise missiles, and air to surface missiles and ballistic missiles.
It can be deployed as operational service with the Indian Army and the Indian Air Force.
What is LiFi?
Li-Fi (Light Fidelity) is similar to Wi-Fi (Wireless Fidelity) which uses light instead of radio waves to transmit data.
It facilitates the wireless method of data transmission through Visible Light Communication (VLC) technology.
It also can be up to 100 times faster than Wi-Fi.
It uses solid-state lighting (SSL) such as LED bulbs for output.
Uses of LiFi:-
It is used in airlines because of its non-interference with the equipment on the aircraft.
It is also used in undersea explorations because the light can travel through water.
It finds its use in operation theatres and hospitals as light waves do not mostly affect medical instruments.It is also used in offices and homes for data transmission and internet browsing Science and Tech Weekly.
Akash 1S -This missile has a strike range of 30 kilometers and is capable to carry a warhead of 60 kilograms.
Mark II -This has an intercept range of 40 kilometers and the accuracy has been increased for the missile guidance system.
Akash NG - The range of the missile is 80 kilometers and has an active electronically scanned array Multi-Function Radar(MFR) and Optical Proximity Fuze system.
Active Electronically Scanned Multi-Function Radar - An active electronically scanned array AESA is a type of phased array antenna, which is a computer-controlled array antenna.